Whitby, Ontario – The Regional Municipality of Durham is happy to announce that it has been awarded funding for a broadband enlargement challenge to ship fibre-to-the-premise (FTTP) expertise to rural properties and companies in 10 underserved communities throughout the area.
The funding has been offered from the federal and provincial governments to assist obtain our imaginative and prescient for connectivity. Help is being offered from Innovation, Science and Financial Growth Canada via the Common Broadband Fund—a $3.225 billion fund supporting broadband infrastructure initiatives that convey high-speed web to rural and distant households; and the Province of Ontario’s Enhancing Connectivity for Ontario program.
The Area, via its not too long ago established broadband Municipal Providers Company, Durham OneNet Inc., has partnered with Web Service Supplier (ISP), Vianet, as a personal sector contributor, to ship FTTP expertise to companies and residents.
Rural properties, companies and establishments throughout 10 Durham Area communities will profit from this challenge together with: Ashburn (Balsam, Glen Main, Chalk Lake), Uxbridge (Silver Spring Crescent), Leaskdale (Victoria Corners), Sunderland (Blackwater), Greenbank (Saintfield), Manchester, Myrtle (Myrtle and Myrtle Station), Columbus, Raglan (Raglan and Shirley) and Courtice (south Courtice).
Design work for the challenge started in mid-2022 and building started in November 2022. The challenge shall be constructed in phases, with the ultimate section anticipated to be accomplished by December 2025. This challenge totals almost $30 million of funding in Durham Area and can assist bridge the digital divide.
To be taught extra about broadband, present initiatives, service suppliers and extra, please go to DurhamOneNet.ca.
“Residents and companies in Durham Area have made it clear that they want high-speed broadband connectivity. The Area is proud to accomplice with the provincial and federal governments to fund additional growth of broadband infrastructure in Durham. This challenge, delivered by Durham OneNet Inc., will assist join residents, farms and companies in rural areas with the important high-speed providers they should dwell, work and thrive in Durham.”
– John Henry, Regional Chair and Chief Govt Officer, The Regional Municipality of Durham
“Entry to quick, dependable and reasonably priced web is required by each a part of society to enhance the best way we dwell, be taught, do enterprise and create and devour content material. We’re thrilled to obtain funding for this important challenge to higher join and repair residents and companies in Durham Area.”
– Paul Frizado, President, Durham OneNet Inc.
“Vianet is extraordinarily enthusiastic about this chance to accomplice with Durham Area and Durham OneNet Inc. on this expansive fibre optic community construct within the rural space of Durham. We sit up for transferring this challenge alongside to provide these properties and companies entry to high-speed web they so desperately want.
This can be a nice instance of how a municipal authorities together with personal business can work collectively to improve important infrastructure for the way forward for smaller Ontario communities. We thank Durham Area, Durham OneNet Inc., and all these concerned who’ve labored so onerous over the previous months to convey this challenge ahead and we’re wanting to ramp up building and get clients attached.”
– Will Gasteiger, President, Vianet Inc.
- In 2019, Durham Area launched the Durham Region Broadband Strategy – Connecting our Communities to bridge the digital divide and convey Durham Area up-to-speed with a number of the best-connected communities on the earth.
- In February 2021, the Area of Durham secured partial funding from the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program (ICIP) to develop broadband fibre infrastructure between Uxbridge and Pickering. The Uxbridge-Pickering hyperlink created the spine infrastructure essential to facilitate high-speed broadband to underserved areas.
- In December 2021, Regional Council endorsed the institution of Durham OneNet Inc.—an entirely owned Municipal Providers Company of the Area of Durham to construct and function a Regional Broadband Community.
- Durham OneNet Inc.’s mandate is to increase the Area’s fibre broadband community to underserved areas of Durham Area to allow improved broadband connectivity to residents, companies and establishments, whereas delivering improved Regional providers and driving financial growth and innovation throughout Durham Area.
About Durham Area
Durham Area is—merely—extra. Situated on the japanese aspect of the Better Toronto Hamilton Space, Durham is a area with momentum. Providing a aggressive benefit like no different, Durham is a neighborhood the place gifted, sensible, various and bold folks—recognized for his or her innovation, creativity, expertise and schooling—convey entry to world markets, insights, invention and traditions. A spot the place an progressive ecosystem helps propel new concepts ahead. The place ingenuity and business assist deal with world challenges. Go to durham.ca to be taught extra about one in every of Canada’s quickest rising communities.
– 30 –
For media requests, please contact CorporateCommunications@durham.ca.