Key strengths in areas akin to semi-conductors, agri-tech and Web Zero demonstrated by exhibitors.
Attended by Welsh Secretary David TC Davies and Science Minister George Freeman, the occasion demonstrated Welsh R&I strengths and aimed to encourage continued funding in Welsh analysis.
Welsh universities are delivering world-leading analysis that makes very important contributions to the financial system and society. That is the message from a particular occasion held in London this week showcasing the easiest of Welsh analysis and innovation.
Hosted by the Wales Workplace and Wales Innovation Community, the occasion at Lancaster Home on 17 October highlighted the energy and breadth of Welsh college analysis, and its potential to ship tangible advantages to communities in Wales, the UK and internationally.
With initiatives starting from decarbonisation and cyber innovation to virus detection and semiconductor know-how, the exhibition demonstrated the variety of the Welsh analysis and innovation sector, and the very important position it has to play in driving ahead the UK financial system and offering options to a few of society’s most urgent challenges.
Wales is already main the way in which in areas as numerous as MedTech, AgriTech and Web Zero and has a world-leading compound semi-conductor cluster driving innovation in a know-how utilized in almost each cell phone in the marketplace in the present day.
Collaboration can be a key energy of the Welsh sector, with lots of the initiatives on show involving partnership working throughout a number of Welsh universities.
The UK Authorities has made a dedication to speculate almost £40 billion in analysis and growth between 2022 and 2025. Welsh universities are well-placed to entry extra analysis funding for analysis with a push to extend funding to areas of the UK exterior the southeast of England by at the least 40% by 2030.
Welsh Secretary David TC Davies and Science Minister George Freeman had been amongst these attending the occasion which featured 20 displays, together with an perception into digital imaging know-how primarily based on human imaginative and prescient and demonstrations on the longer term purposes of nuclear energy.
Welsh Secretary David TC Davies stated:
I used to be delighted to welcome Welsh universities to this very particular occasion and reveal the UK Authorities’s dedication to the upper schooling sector. It was an amazing alternative for UKRI to get a flavour of a number of the unbelievable analysis and innovation that’s already going down in Wales throughout all of our universities.
I would like Welsh universities to play an important position in positioning the UK on the forefront of R&D, and I hope this occasion has helped us make progress in direction of that frequent purpose.
Professor Paul Boyle, Chair of the Wales Innovation Community and Vice-Chancellor of Swansea College stated:
We welcome this chance to showcase a number of the implausible analysis and innovation going down at Welsh universities.
The Wales Innovation Community’s objective is to strengthen Welsh analysis and innovation by facilitating interdisciplinary collaboration, so it was significantly constructive to see so lots of the initiatives on show demonstrating the worth of collaborative working throughout Wales’ universities.
We’ll proceed to showcase the strengths of Welsh analysis and we welcome additional engagement with authorities and stakeholders to proceed to extend analysis and innovation funding in Welsh universities.
With a sustainably-funded R&I sector we will proceed to create financial and societal influence for this and future generations.
Professor Dame Ottoline Leyser, Chief Govt of UKRI stated:
There are outstanding analysis and innovation strengths in Welsh universities, and the broader Welsh analysis and innovation system. In my visits to Wales and conferences with Welsh stakeholders, I’ve talked to many sensible individuals together with early profession researchers and entrepreneurs, technicians, area people and international analysis leaders.
Welsh universities are extremely profitable at successful analysis funding from throughout UKRI, with success charges much like the remainder of the UK. These initiatives powerfully reveal how Welsh universities are advancing analysis throughout a variety of areas, and driving innovation and financial progress, benefiting the entire UK and past.
- All 9 of Wales’ universities – Aberystwyth College, Bangor College, Cardiff Metropolitan College, Cardiff College, Open College in Wales, Swansea College, College of South Wales, College of Wales Trinity St David’s and Wrexham College – featured within the Lancaster Home occasion.
- Various the 20 R&D displays featured joint groups from completely different universities.
- The occasion introduced collectively representatives from UK Analysis and Innovation (UKRI), Wales Workplace and the Division for Science, Innovation and Know-how with the goal of encouraging extra funding for Welsh analysis.
- Within the newest UK-wide evaluation of the standard of analysis (REF 2021), printed final summer season, 89% of Welsh college analysis was rated as internationally wonderful or world-leading for influence. A choice of REF influence case research could be discovered here.
- The Wales Innovation Work (WIN) is a collaborative initiative set as much as strengthen analysis and innovation in Wales. The Community has 4 most important targets:
- Growing the competitiveness of Welsh analysis and innovation by means of facilitating collaboration to construct progressive and distinctive initiatives.
- Leveraging strategic funding into Wales by working with applicable companions to ship impactful analysis and innovation.
- Advocating for Welsh analysis and innovation by means of speaking the strengths, attain and influence of the sector.
- Facilitating the sharing of services, gear and observe between Welsh universities to strengthen the analysis infrastructure and atmosphere.
- Universities Wales is a membership physique representing the pursuits of Wales’ 9 universities. We develop greater schooling coverage, ship political and stakeholder engagement, and marketing campaign on points the place our members have a shared curiosity. www.uniswales.ac.uk