Weblog Put up
31 October 2023
Are you warming as much as the concept of putting in a warmth pump at dwelling?
Our power specialists assume there has by no means been a greater time to take a position on this tried and examined low carbon heating system.
We requested them to reply these high 5 questions to assist clarify why now’s the appropriate time to get a warmth pump.
1. Can a warmth pump prevent cash in your power payments?
- If you happen to’re changing an older, G-rated fuel boiler for a well-designed warmth pump, you could possibly save round £295 a 12 months in your power payments below present power costs (A).
- Topping up your house’s wall, flooring and loft insulation earlier than putting in a warmth pump will assist scale back its operating prices.
- If you have already got photo voltaic panels, it can save you extra through the use of the free power they generate to energy your warmth pump.
- A photo voltaic battery can enhance your financial savings even additional by storing the solar’s power to energy your warmth pump later within the day.
- The UK Authorities is at present contemplating “re-balancing” electrical energy and fuel costs, with the precise intention of creating warmth pumps cheaper to function than fuel boilers sooner or later.
- Do do not forget that not everybody who installs a warmth pump will see financial savings right away. Electrical energy is costlier than fuel proper now so should you’re changing a a lot newer, extra environment friendly fuel boiler for a warmth pump your power payments aren’t more likely to scale back on this state of affairs simply but.
2. Can I get cash in direction of a warmth pump?
- There’s extra monetary help for warmth pumps than ever earlier than. Proper now, should you dwell in England and Wales you may get a £7,500 grant in direction of putting in a warmth pump with the Boiler Upgrade Scheme. If you happen to dwell in Scotland, grants of between £7,500 and £9,000 are additionally obtainable.
- Vitality corporations have additionally began doing extra to make warmth pumps extra reasonably priced. For instance, some suppliers are additionally providing particular electrical energy tariffs designed to minimise warmth pump operating prices.
- We advocate researching all these offers should you’re contemplating putting in a warmth pump.
3. Is there proof that warmth pumps work properly in chilly climate?
- It’s a fable that warmth pumps don’t work properly in chilly climate they usually’ve been round lengthy sufficient now to show this.
- Our European neighbours have gotten the message. The truth is, the international locations with the very best variety of warmth pump installations per 1,000 households in 2022 are Finland, Norway and Sweden. All of them have colder winters than the UK.
- According to the International Energy Agency, 60% of Norway’s buildings are fitted with a warmth pump, adopted carefully by Sweden at 43% and Finland at 41%.
- A floor supply warmth pump can be utilized all 12 months spherical, even in the course of the colder winter months.
- Air supply warmth pumps nonetheless work effectively at temperatures as little as -15°C.
4. Will a warmth pump actually decrease my carbon footprint?
- Based on the newest Local weather Change Committee report, buildings account for round 17% of the UK’s emissions, and most of this comes from utilizing fossil gas heating programs in our houses.
- Most UK residential buildings (23 million) are at present linked to the fuel grid, utilizing a standard boiler.
- The nice information is that warmth pumps can change that. In all circumstances, changing an present fossil gas heating system with a warmth pump will save carbon emissions. How a lot you’ll save will depend upon the scale of your house and the kind of heating system you’re changing.
- For example, a semi-detached dwelling with an outdated, G-rated fuel boiler would save round 2,900kg of carbon dioxide emissions a 12 months by switching to an air supply warmth pump – the identical as flying from Cardiff to Vancouver and again.
5. How do I do know which warmth pump is true for me?
- We’ve bought plenty of unbiased, knowledgeable data on warmth pumps that can assist you change to low carbon heating.
- Learn our heat pumps recommendation to find which warmth pump is best for you, how a lot they price and the way a lot cash or carbon you may save.
- And discover out what it’s wish to have a warmth pump by studying stories from householders who’ve already made the transfer.
A. Financial savings right as of October 2023 primarily based on a typical three-bedroom semi-detached home in England, Wales or Scotland. Vitality prices primarily based on fuel and electrical energy costs set by Ofgem’s worth cap operating from 1 October to the top of December 2023 (an electrical energy worth of 27.4p/kWh and a fuel worth of 6.9p/kWh).
Final up to date: 31 October 2023