All hyperlinks depart DEC’s web site.
Beneath New York’s Clean Energy Standard (CES) and the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act, New York State is dedicated to offering 70% of New York State’s electrical energy from renewable sources akin to wind, photo voltaic, and hydroelectric energy by 2030 and be 100% carbon free by 2040. To assist attain this aim, New York State has dedicated to growing 9,000 megawatts (MW) of offshore wind by 2035, which is sufficient to energy as much as 6 million houses.
To assist make sure the accountable improvement of offshore wind in New York State, New York State Power Analysis and Improvement Authority (NYSERDA), with session of DEC, produced the New York State Offshore Wind Master Plan.
The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) is the federal entity that manages the exploration and improvement of vitality assets on the U.S. Outer Continental Shelf (OCS). BOEM is shifting ahead with wind vitality planning efforts on the OCS within the New York Bight area, which represents an space of shallow waters between Lengthy Island, New York to the north and east, and the New Jersey coast to the south and west. The OCS Lands Act requires BOEM to award leases competitively, until BOEM determines there is no such thing as a aggressive curiosity.
New York State Tasks in Improvement
NYSERDA has held two aggressive solicitations for offshore wind vitality, bringing totals to over 4,300 megawatts beneath lively improvement statewide.
In the course of the 2018 solicitation, NYSERDA chosen and contracted with two offshore wind initiatives totaling practically 1,700 megawatts:
- Empire Wind 1: (816 megawatts, Equinor Wind LLC) Situated 11.5 nautical miles (nm) from Jones Seashore, NY, encompassing the western portion of the lease space.
- Dawn Wind: (880 megawatts, Ørsted A/S and Eversource Power) The mission space is roughly 30 miles east of Montauk Level.
In the course of the 2020 solicitation, Equinor was provisionally awarded two different offshore wind initiatives totaling 2,490 megawatts:
- Empire Wind 2 (1,260 megawatts) Situated 11.5 nautical miles (nm) from Jones Seashore, NY, encompassing the japanese portion of the lease space.
- Beacon Wind (1,230 megawatts) Situated 60 miles east of Montauk Level.
South Fork Wind Farm
Whereas not contracted beneath New York State’s Public Service Fee suggestions, South Fork Wind Farm (SFWF) will contribute to the State’s offshore wind objectives by offering electrical energy to energy 70,000 houses in New York. Situated roughly 19 miles southeast of Block Island, Rhode Island and 35 miles east of Montauk Level, New York, SFWF is a non-public procurement between Ørsted (previously Deepwater Wind, LLC) and the Lengthy Island Energy Authority (LIPA) for 130 megawatts of offshore wind.
NYSERDA Technical Working Teams
DEC participates in a lot of offshore wind Technical Working Groups (TWGs) established by NYSERDA to deliver key stakeholder teams along with state and federal regulators and the worldwide offshore wind trade. There are presently 4 lively TWGs consisting of business fishing, the surroundings, maritime commerce, and the job and provide chain.
Fisheries Technical Working Teams (F-TWG)
The Fisheries Technical Working Group (F-TWG) supplies steerage and recommendation on methods to responsibly advance New York State’s offshore wind vitality improvement whereas additionally defending New York’s and the areas priceless assets and useful resource customers. New York is main this multistate method, which incorporates fisheries representatives from New England and the Mid-Atlantic who fish the New York Bight, in addition to offshore wind builders.
The F-TWG operates beneath the mission of guiding New York’s offshore wind improvement in a means that’s each environmentally pleasant and protects the area’s priceless fisheries and fishing communities. It does this by:
- Enhancing communication and coordination: Improves communication between the fishing group and offshore wind trade builders.
- Distributing info: Makes positive the fishing group and offshore wind trade is aware of about current knowledge, analysis, and knowledge sources.
- Supporting analysis: Supplies concepts and suggestions on scientific and technical research that handle offshore wind vitality mission planning, siting, building, operation, monitoring, or different associated subjects.
Environmental Technical Working Group (E-TWG)
The Environmental Technical Working Group (E-TWG) is an unbiased advisory physique to the State of New York with a regional deal with offshore wind and wildlife points within the japanese U.S. It’s comprised of offshore wind builders and science-based environmental non-government organizations (NGOs), in addition to state and federal wildlife regulatory companies.
The E-TWG helps promote environmentally accountable development of offshore wind improvement by (1) regional collaboration and (2) recommendation and steerage to New York State. It goals are to:
- Enhance our understanding of, and skill to handle for, potential results of offshore wind vitality improvement on wildlife.
- Develop clear, collaborative processes for figuring out and addressing precedence points regarding wildlife monitoring and mitigation.
- Cut back allowing threat and uncertainty for builders by bettering readability in expectations and processes for wildlife monitoring and mitigation.
State of the Science Workshop
The State of the Science 2020 Workshop, hosted by the NYSERDA, introduced collectively over 430 stakeholders engaged with environmental and wildlife analysis related to offshore wind vitality improvement and centered on cumulative impacts, constructing on efforts made in the course of the first workshop held in 2018. Following the workshop, seven workgroups have been shaped with a view to determine analysis priorities to better-understand the cumulative impacts of offshore wind on: environmental change, fishes & aquatic invertebrates, bats, sea turtles, marine mammals, birds, and benthos.
In Might 2021, the State of the Science Culmination Webinar introduced workgroup suggestions and mentioned widespread themes amongst teams and produced workgroup reports which are obtainable for obtain.
Maritime Technical Working Group (M-TWG)
The Maritime Technical Working Group (M-TWG) is an unbiased advisory physique led by New York State Division of State and supported by funding from NYSERDA. The M-TWG is comprised of regional stakeholders in delivery and navigation, in addition to state and federal companions akin to america Coast Guard and america Military Corp of Engineers. The group advances New York’s offshore wind improvement objectives by specializing in figuring out points and potential resolutions associated to the secure navigation of vessels to and from New York Harbor and areas adjoining to offshore wind mission websites throughout all phases of improvement.
Job & Provide Chain Technical Working Group (JSC-TWG)
The JSC-TWG is an unbiased advisory physique led by NYSERDA and centered on advancing workforce improvement, the broader provide chain, and personal improvement in port infrastructure in New York State. The group is comprised of offshore wind builders, international producers, native financial improvement stakeholders, academia, and state companies.
BOEM New York Bight Wind Power Areas
With the intention to fulfill New York State’s aim of competitively attaining 9 gigawatts of offshore wind by 2035, the state petitioned the federal authorities’s Bureau of Ocean Power Administration (BOEM) so as to add further lease areas throughout the New York Bight. BOEM produced a Name for Data and Nominations to delineate new areas for offshore wind improvement. After reviewing the feedback acquired in response to the decision, draft Wind Power Areas (WEAs) have been developed throughout the New York Bight.
- BOEM launched closing WEAs on March 29, 2021 of their Discover to Stakeholders (NTS) to arrange an Environmental Evaluation (EA).
- On June 14, 2021, a Proposed Sale Discover (PSN) for the WEAs was printed within the Federal Register, initiating a 60-day remark interval. The PSN contains the sale of as much as eight new leases within the New York Bight and supplies info on these potential leases, lease provisions and situations, and public sale particulars.
- On August tenth, 2021, BOEM additionally introduced the supply of a draft Environmental Evaluation (EA) that addresses the potential impacts of the issuance of business and analysis leases throughout the WEAs.
- A Ultimate Sale Discover (FSN) and subsequent lease public sale is anticipated for late-2021 or early-2022.
For extra info, go to BOEM’s activities in the New York Bight.
Regional Offshore Wind Collaborations
Given the massive scale of offshore wind initiatives, a lot of entities have been created which deal with nationwide and regional considerations related to improvement of offshore wind. These teams embody:
Moreover, the Synthesis of the Science is a joint effort that brings collectively the Nationwide Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Fisheries, the Bureau of Ocean Power Administration (BOEM), and the Accountable Offshore Improvement Alliance (RODA). The overarching function is enhancing regional and nationwide understanding of current science and knowledge gaps associated to offshore wind vitality interactions with fish and fisheries. For extra info go to, RODA’s website.