After reviewing the proof regarding booster doses of the Moderna and Jansen (Johnson & Johnson) COVID vaccines on Thursday, the Western States Scientific Security Evaluate Workgroup introduced Friday it helps the suggestions for booster pictures. To maintain safety towards COVID-19, the Workgroup concurs with CDC recommendations for a single booster dose of COVID-19 vaccine amongst recipients of an preliminary collection of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine and recipients of the Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) COVID-19 vaccine
The Workgroup sent a letter to Gov. Jay Inslee, Gov. Gavin Newsom of California, Gov. Steve Sisolak, Nevada and Gov. Kate Brown, Oregon.
The Workgroup beforehand reviewed the proof and proposals pertaining to booster doses of the Pfizer BioNTech COVID19 vaccine (https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID19/Statement-on-Pfizer-Booster.aspx).
“The COVID vaccines proceed to supply very sturdy safety towards extreme sickness and demise and are saving lives every single day. Now individuals who qualify to get a booster don’t need to be restricted to 1 model of vaccine,” Inslee mentioned. “They’re able to get whichever is obtainable to them and is greatest for them. It is a important issue to find our means out of this pandemic.”
Those that obtained the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine are actually eligible to obtain a booster dose at six months or extra after their preliminary collection, whereas those that obtained the Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) COVID19 vaccine are eligible to obtain a booster dose at two months or extra after their preliminary dose.
1. Amongst recipients of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, those that ought to obtain a booster dose of COVID-19 vaccine embody these at elevated threat for hospitalization and extreme illness, together with these:
• Age 65 years and older
• Age 18 years and older residing in a long-term care facility, or
• Age 50 by way of 64 years with underlying medical situations or at elevated threat of social inequities.
2. Amongst recipients of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, those that could obtain a booster dose of COVID-19 vaccine embody individuals:
• Age 18 by way of 49 years with underlying medical situations or at elevated threat of social inequities, or
• Age 18 by way of 64 years who’re threat for SARS-CoV-2 publicity and transmission due to occupational or institutional setting.
3. All these age 18 and older who obtained the Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) COVID-19 vaccine ought to obtain a booster dose of COVID-19 vaccine.
The Workgroup has additionally strongly endorsed CDC’s recognition that long-standing systemic well being and social inequities have elevated the chance of extreme sickness from COVID-19. The Workgroup subsequently recommends once more that social determinants of vulnerability be included within the evaluation of situations that qualify people for booster doses.
People who’ve beforehand obtained an preliminary collection of any of the three COVID-19 vaccines presently accredited or approved to be used in america are eligible for a booster dose. The Workgroup helps CDC’s determination that people eligible for a booster could obtain both the identical or a unique COVID-19 vaccine as a booster dose, relying on recommendation from a well being care supplier, particular person choice, availability or comfort.
Learn the total assertion here.